Thursday, April 12, 2012

DIY KEY DESIGNS

My name is Kendall.  And I hoard keys.  My key ring is always a mess because I lose track of which keys I actually need.  I don't want to throw any of them away because surely it was important at one point or another.  

So I decided to make it a little easier to keep track of all of them.

I realize that decorative keys are readily available everywhere, but where's the fun in just buying one?  Plus, I love Mickey Mouse just as much as the next person, but do I really need a jumbo picture of him imprinted on my house key?  The answer...is no.


TOTAL COST : $5 - $10 for tons of keys

SUPPLIES NEEDED : Spray paint in a variety of colors (make sure the paint is specific for metal), masking tape, and some small stickers.


1.  SPRAY YOUR KEYS : Cover both sides of your keys with a thin layer of spray paint.  The paint will chip too quickly if it's too thick.  Let the keys dry really well before the next step.

2.  TAPE AND STICKER : Use masking tape and/or little stickers to create a design of your choice.  Pinking sheers would be great for this as well!

3.  SPRAY AGAIN : Use a different color paint and spray another layer on both sides of your taped keys.  Remove the tape and/or stickers before the paint is fully dry to avoid peeling.

HOORAY!  You're finished!  Be sure to let your keys dry super well before using them.

Your snazzy new keys will help you remember which keys go where.  They will likely chip over time (just like the store bought ones), but just tape and paint again!


Happy crafting!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...