Friday, January 27, 2012

THAT THING YOU DO

I stumbled upon this gem the other night whilst browsing Netflix.  I'm usually apprehensive about watching movies that I loved when I was a kiddo because they are typically a let-down, but this will definitely go on my list of teen movies that are still classic when watched as an adult (along with Clueless, Can't Hardly Wait, Heathers, and Varsity Blues (j/k on the last one...kind of...).

Everything about this movie is flawless.  The set design, the songs, the clothes, the makeup.  "That Thing You Do" the song is a solid gold smash hit.  People like to think that Tom Hanks wrote the song, but he didn't.  He wrote and directed the movie, and wrote/co-wrote a few other songs for the movie though.  Which I suppose is impressive enough for me to forgive him for Larry Crowne.


I remember seeing this in the theater as a kid and wanting nothing more than to be Faye (Liv Tyler).  16 years later...I still want to be Faye.


The best scene in the movie (and one of the best scenes of all time in any movie ever) is the "We're on the radio!" scene.  Just try to watch that scene without having a giant smile on your face, goosebumps on your arms, and a little tear in your eye.  Double dog dare you.


The Wonders were only a band for 2 months and had the top record in the country.  Similar to modern-day pop sensations, but with like, talent and stuff.

Superb job, Mr. Hanks.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...